Monday, March 24, 2008

The Least Honest Four Words in English

English is a strange language. A simple phrase where the words seem to mean esteem can actually mean contempt when spoken. There are number of phrases like this and below is the one I hate right now. Feel free to add a comment if you have a favorite of your own.

Today I was walking past a conference room at the office where I work and overheard an aggressive voice saying the phrase. As usual the aggressive voice immediately followed it up with something pretty unpleasant.

Then tonight, the phrase was uttered on TV during a phone-in, the host followed it up by completely rubbishing the callers point. The phrase ...

"With all due respect..."

Whenever I hear it seems to actually mean:

"You are wrong---shut up! You are due no respect"

It is nearly always deeply offensive so if you say it - STOP.


<Enter stunningly witty and clever tagline here>


Bazza

3 comments:

  1. With all due respect, Bazza, you're wrong. Actually, you're right but I wanted the opportunity to give you a hard time (nothing new there). That ranks up there with "Axing" a question and "My bad" on the irk-O-meter.
    Hey how are those rodents? Did you eat them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate "step up to the plate" implying someone isn't doing all they can to acheive something

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right on target. There's another phrase I fear, "I'll have to call a supervisor." This phrase always strikes fear into the idle mind...

    ReplyDelete